When I came across this recipe online, I was intrigued by the idea of cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower mashed potatoes? Yes.
But rice? This was a new concept to me.
Big Fisch and I are trying out a “cleaner” diet to see how our body reacts and feels to little to no dairy, gluten, processed sugars, or wheat. While we try this diet out, we have one prerequisite:
Food MUST be tasty.
So when I found this recipe for Curry Chicken and Cauliflower Rice, I knew it’d be worth a shot.
This recipe is bursting with flavor, unique texture, and just the right amount of heat.
You must try this. Even if you have no reason to stay away from real rice, try this. It’s seriously good.
Curry Chicken and Cauliflower Rice
Adapted from this original recipe
The cast of characters for 4 Adult Servings:
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs ginger root, finely minced or grated
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 8-10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large (10″-12″) zucchini, diced
- 2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 Tbs coconut oil or olive oil
- 1.5 – 2 (403 mL) cans unsweetened coconut milk, add full two cans if mixture is too thick
- 4 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp ground curry powder
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- MIX the ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cloves, sea salt and black pepper in a large bowl.
- CHOP the chicken breasts into 1″ pieces and put in the bowl with the ginger, garlic and spices.
- COAT the chicken with the spice mixture and set aside.
- DICE the mushrooms, zucchini and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, add 3-4 Tbs coconut oil to a large skillet.
- When hot, add the chicken, mushrooms, coconut milk and lemon juice to the pan.
- Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and bell pepper, and continue to cook until chicken is done (about 10 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, wash and rough chop the cauliflower, slice green onions, and dice the cucumber and onion.
- Place cauliflower in a large skillet with coconut or olive oil and cook over medium high heat until slightly softened.
- Place the cauliflower, curry powder, green onion and cayenne into a food processor and pulse until it has a grainy rice-like consistency. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve chicken curry over cauliflower rice and garnish with chopped cilantro, cucumber and red onion.
Serve warm and dig in!